What influences how you see yourself?
Self concept is made up of factors such as self image, ideal self and self esteem. Haworth et al (2010) suggests that there are numerous factors that can affect your self- concept. They are age, education, media, appearance, culture, abuse, relationships, gender, and income.
What are the most important aspects of your self-concept?
The self-concept is a schema that contains knowledge about us. It is primarily made up of physical characteristics, group memberships, and traits. Because the self-concept is so complex, it has extraordinary influence on our thoughts, feelings, and behavior, and we can remember information that is related to it well.
How does our self-concept affect our interaction with others?
Our self-concept is the overall idea of who we think we are. It is developed through our interactions with others and through social comparison that allows us to compare our beliefs and behaviors to others.
What are the factors affect self-confidence?
- Childhood. Your childhood is one of the main contributing influences to your self-confidence. …
- Society. The pressure of society is a main contributor of low self-confidence. …
- Media. …
- Friends and Family. …
- Relationships. …
- Work Environment. …
How do I change my self-concept?
Changing Your Sense of Identity
- Stand Up to Your Critical Inner Voice. One technique for shifting this distorted self-concept is using the steps in Voice Therapy.
- Cultivate an Inner Companion.
- Create a Family of Choice.
- Be Adult, and Realize You Have Power.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Seek Meaning.
What is self and culture?
: the development of one’s mind or capacities through one’s own efforts : self-cultivation [Margaret] Fuller … believed that her purpose as literary editor of The New York Herald Tribune in the early 1840s was to promote reading as a form of self-culture and self-knowledge.—
What is an ideal self?
The Ideal Self is an idealized version of yourself created out of what you have learned from your life experiences, the demands of society, and what you admire in your role models. If your Real Self is far from this idealized image, then you might feel dissatisfied with your life and consider yourself a failure.
What is the role of self-concept?
Self-concepts represent knowledge structures that consist of beliefs about the self, including one’s attributes, social roles, and goals. When managers have favorable attitudes toward themselves, they are in a much better position to build positive and realistic self-concept in their employers.
What are the factors that influence self motivation?
Four factors are necessary to build the strongest levels of self-motivation:
- Self-confidence and self-efficacy.
- Positive thinking, and positive thinking about the future.
- Focus and strong goals.
- A motivating environment.
How do I know my true self?
6 Steps to Discover Your True Self
- Be quiet. You cannot and will not be able to know yourself until you take the time to be still.
- Realize who you truly are, not who you want to be.
- Find what you are good at (and not good at).
- Find what you are passionate about.
- Ask for feedback.
- Assess your relationships.
What is your real self and ideal self?
The ideal self is the person that you would like to be; the real self is the person you actually are. Rogers focused on the idea that we need to achieve consistency between these two selves.
What are the four factors that affects self-concept?
There are various factors that can affect self-concept, these include: age, sexual orientation, gender and religion. The self-concept is also made up of a combination of self-esteem and self-image. Self-esteem refers to a person’s feelings of self-worth or the value that they place on themselves.
How does self-concept influence behavior?
Self-concept heavily influences behavior because it causes a person to dictate to themselves what they may or may not be able to accomplish through self-categorization. Every person holds beliefs and biases of different categories in their life, whether they are aware of them or not.
What can influence behavior?
Factors Influencing Individual Behavior
- Race and culture.
How does self-concept affect communication?
One’s self-concept affects one’s perception, attitude and behavior, which can be demonstrated during the process of interpersonal communication. In the process of communication, self-knowledge and the way one feel about oneself is revealed to others, and affects how others react to them.
How do you shift your identity?
Identity Shifting Method 3: Work on Your Confidence Every Day
- Get in the gym!
- Change the way you walk – Stand taller and put a smile on your face.
- Watch your self-talk – You become what you think about.
- Visualization – Close your eyes and envision where you want to be.
How does culture shape your self concept?
Culture helps define how individuals see themselves and how they relate to others. A family’s cultural values shape the development of its child’s self-concept: Culture shapes how we each see ourselves and others. For example, some cultures prefer children to be quiet and respectful when around adults.
How do I develop a positive self-image?
Specific steps to develop a positive self-image
- Take a self-image inventory.
- Make a list of your positive qualities.
- Ask significant others to describe your positive qualities.
- Define personal goals and objectives that are reasonable and measurable.
- Confront thinking distortions.
What is positive and negative self-concept?
Self-esteem refers to the positive (high self-esteem) or negative (low self-esteem) feelings that we have about ourselves. We experience the positive feelings of high self-esteem when we believe that we are good and worthy and that others view us positively.
How can your self-image influence your behaviors and decisions?
Self-image refers to the way in which you view yourself. The way in which you view yourself affects both your belief that you can do something, and your willingness to actually do it. You can have all the positive intentions in the world but if you place limitations on yourself, you will struggle to break through them.