What does the word smocks mean?
1 archaic : a woman’s undergarment especially : chemise. 2 : a light loose garment worn especially for protection of clothing while working. smock. verb. smocked; smocking; smocks.
What is a synonym for smock?
In this page you can discover 18 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for smock, like: frock, coverall, clothes, duster, work dress, dust coat, kirtle, jerkin, waistcoat, shawl and knee breeches.
How do you use smock in a sentence?
Smock sentence example
- The women’s dress is a smock with sleeves loose to the wrist, where they fit tightly.
- He hands me a white smock to put on.
- Here he remained during the whole season, as joint-manager with Sheridan, in the direction and profits of the Theatre Royal in Smock Alley.
What does painting smock mean?
Today, the word smock refers to a loose overgarment worn to protect one’s clothing, for instance by a painter.
What does it mean by stroking?
B2. to move a hand, another part of the body, or an object gently over something or someone, usually repeatedly and for pleasure: Stroke the dog if you want, he won’t bite. She lovingly stroked Chris’s face with the tips of her fingers.
What does smocked top mean?
$39.00. In case you didn’t know, smocked fabric is the kind that’s all bunched up (in, like, a nice way) and sewn with elastic thread so it can stretch. That usually means the garment in question is skintight all over or has an expandable area that can accommodate a variety of shapes within a given size.
What is the synonym of apron?
In this page you can discover 27 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for apron, like: overskirt, airstrip, bib, pinafore, tier, proscenium, smock, forestage, r, clearway and boot.
What is the synonym of Hurl?
Some common synonyms of hurl are cast, fling, pitch, sling, throw, and toss.
How do you use swell in a sentence?
Swell sentence example
- Don’t let your head swell up that way.
- He seemed to swell with satisfaction.
- As her shoulder began to swell , the pain was nauseating.
- She felt his magic swell around him, the fire in his gaze sizzling through her blood.
- Her forearm was starting to swell , as if he’d broken or sprained it.
How do you use the word obstinate in a sentence?
Obstinate sentence example
- He was incapable, obstinate and perfectly selfish.
- His obstinate resistance came to an end.
- He showed an obstinate refusal to admit that things were bad.
- William, however, was too proud and too obstinate to lend himself to such a course.
- Kiera’s mate hadn’t counted on an obstinate bride.
Are smocks in style?
Lightweight, unstructured and fabulously floaty, smock dresses are fast becoming a fashion favourite. If like us, you’re always searching for the next carefree and low-maintenance look, a smock dress will be your new wardrobe bestie.
Why did shepherds wear smocks?
Smocks were worn by a variety of rural workers in the 18th and 19th century, including shepherds, waggoners and ploughmen, as a protective layer on top of their clothes. They were most common in the Midlands and Southern regions of England and parts of Wales.
What is the meaning of Smock?
Kids Definition of smock. : a loose outer garment worn especially for protection of clothing an artist’s smock. Comments on smock. What made you want to look up smock?
What is the meaning of frock?
any loose protective garment, worn by artists, laboratory technicians, etc. a woman’s loose blouse-like garment, reaching to below the waist, worn over slacks, etc. Also called: smock frock a loose protective overgarment decorated with smocking, worn formerly esp by farm workers.
Who is Zoey in the smock?
Merritt Wever is adorable and believable as Zoey, a nervous first-year nursing student so callow she has bunnies on her smock. The third was a mournful-eyed Schree, clad in an ornamented smock -like garment, from which his thin limbs thrust grotesquely.