What is an RDM?
An RDM is a mapping file in a separate VMFS volume that acts as a proxy for a raw physical storage device. The RDM allows a virtual machine to directly access and use the storage device. The RDM contains metadata for managing and redirecting disk access to the physical device.
What is Reltio RDM?
Reference Data Management (RDM) Release Notes. The Reltio Connected Data Platform is a cloud-native data management platform that enables organizations to create a unified, trusted real-time source for their core data.
What is RDM hard disk?
Raw device mapping (RDM) is a method of disk virtualization in VMware that allows virtual machines to use a storage logical unit number (LUN) device to be directly connected to a virtual machine in a storage area network (SAN). This direct connection can boost disk access performance in I/O-intensive operations.
How do I convert RDM to VMDK?
To convert RDM to VMDK, You can use the Advanced option in Storage vMotion ->Change the disk format as “Thin or Thick” from the disk format drop down for the RDM disk, select the destination datastore and proceed with the storage vMotion. Once storage vMotion is completed, virtual RDM disk will be converted to VMDK.
How do I remove RDM from virtual machine?
Remove the RDM from the virtual machine:
- Click Edit Settings.
- Select the RDM hard disk.
- Click Remove. Select Delete from disk if it is not already selected.
- Click OK.
Why RDM is used in VMware?
As the name suggests, Raw Device Mapping is a mapping file that maps a LUN directly to a VM. In other words, RDM allows VMs to bypass VMFS—VMware’s default storage management interface—and access the storage device directly. This way, an RDM acts as a proxy for a raw LUN residing in a VMFS volume.
How do I know if my disk is RDM?
To identify RDMs using the vSphere Client:
- Determine which RDM LUNs are part of an MSCS cluster.
- Edit your virtual machine settings and navigate to your Mapped RAW LUNs.
- In the Physical, there is the specification of the device in use as RDM (that is, the vml ID).
How do I migrate to RDM?
Physical mode RDM data can be migrated to VMDK disks only through cold migration….Notes:
- Remove the RDM from the virtual machine, and delete it from disk to ensure that the mapping file is deleted.
- Add the RDM again, and put the mapping file in a different datastore than the ultimate target of the Storage vMotion.
How do I change RDM from physical to virtual?
Right-click the Node A virtual machine and click Edit Settings. Add the RDM to the virtual machine as a new disk and select virtual compatibility mode (the naming of this option depends on the Esxi/Vcenter version used).