Is a 357 mag good for deer hunting?
357 Mag. is reliably lethal on deer as long as your hunting strategy is realistic, as I will explain. The . 357, in this image the Smith & Wesson Model 686, has plenty of knockdown power within 50 yards to take down deer and possibly further if you’re confident with your abilities.
What is the best .357 for hunting?
Best . 357 Magnum Revolvers
- Smith & Wesson Model 60 . 357 Magnum.
- Ruger Model SP-101. The SP-101 is a 5-shot DA/SA .
- Ruger GP-100. The Ruger GP-100 is a 6-shot .
- Colt . 357 Magnum Trooper MK III Series.
- Smith & Wesson Model 627 Pro Series. The S&W 627 Pro is an 8-shot .
- Ruger Redhawk . 357 Magnum.
- Colt .
- Kimber K6s.
How far can you shoot a deer with a 357?
HammerDown load will expand to a frontal diameter of about 1/2 inch if it impacts a deer at a velocity anywhere between 1,100 and 1,800 fps. If you have a lever-action . 357 Mag. rifle, you now have an excellent big-game load capable of taking deer past 200 yards.
What is a 357 Magnum good for hunting?
357 was regarded as the ultimate in handgun hunting cartridges by many nimrods. It was effectively employed for taking elk, moose, deer, antelope, giant Kodiak brown bears and even some African game animals.
What is the best handgun to hunt deer with?
The Best Handguns for Deer Hunting
- Magnum Research Desert Eagle.
- MOA Maximum.
- Ruger Blackhawk & Super Blackhawk.
- Ruger Redhawk & Super Redhawk.
- Smith & Wesson Model 29/629.
- Smith & Wesson Model 460.
- Taurus Raging Bull.
- Thompson/Center Encore. Thompson/Center Encore Field & Stream Online Editors.
What can I hunt with a 357 Magnum revolver?
What rounds can a 357 Magnum shoot?
357 Magnum revolver will shoot . 38 Special wadcutter ammunition with good results. It is this accuracy and power, and the versatility of also being capable of using less-expensive, milder . 38 Special ammunition, that makes a .
What can you hunt with a 357 revolver?
357 Mag. makes a perfectly viable cartridge for hunting deer and black bear, in either rifle or pistol form. In a rifle, it’s a solid 75-100 yard gun, and in a pistol, I’ve seen some guys print groups at 50 yards so small it’d raise your eyebrows.