How do I cite The Great Gatsby in MLA format?
Basic MLA Book Citation Format for The Great Gatsby on the Works Cited Page: Formula: Surname, Name. Book’s Title. Publisher, Publication Year.
How do you cite something with two authors?
- 2 Authors: Always cite both authors’ names in-text everytime you reference them. Example: Johnson and Smith (2009) found…
- 6 or More Authors: If a document has six or more authors, simply provide the last name of the first author with “et al.” from the first citation to the last. Example: Thomas et al.
How do you cite more than one author in MLA works cited?
If there are three or more authors, list only the first author followed by the phrase et al. (Latin for “and others”) in place of the subsequent authors’ names. (Note that there is a period after “al” in “et al.” Also note that there is never a period after the “et” in “et al.”).
How are entries on a works cited separated?
General Guidelines for a Works Cited Page
- Always include a Works Cited on a separate page at the end of your paper, project, or presentation.
- Label the page Work Cited (do not italicize, bold or underline the words Works Cited or put them in quotation marks) and center the words Works Cited at the top of the page.
How do you cite a book with two authors in MLA 8?
When a work has two authors, include them in the order they appear on the work, and invert the first author’s name but write out the second author’s name normally. Works Cited Format: First Author’s Last Name, First Name, and Second Author’s First Name Last Name. Title of Book.
How do you cite 2 authors in MLA?
Sources with two authors List the authors’ last names in the sentence and put the page number in parentheses at the end. Alternatively, list the authors’ last names and the page number in parentheses at the end (see page 116 of the MLA 8th ed). For example: Russell and Winterbottom state in their introduction that ….
How do you cite a book in MLA 8?
Author’s last name, First name Middle initial (if any). Title of Book. Edition if any, Year of publication for the Title cited. Title of the multivolume publicaton, volume number, Publisher, Year of publication for the collection.
How do you credit a source?
Citing: Identifying In-Text Sources
- Introduce the Author and/or the Title of the Source. By introducing the author or the material, you make it clear to the reader that what you’re talking about is from a source.
- Use Linking or Attributive Language.
- Use a Parenthetical Citation.
How do you cite 3 authors in MLA?
If there are three or more authors, cite only the name of the first author listed with their Last Name, First Name Middle Name followed by a comma et al. Example: Smith, James, et al.
What should not be cited?
If it’s your words, your opinion, your photo, or your graph, of course, you don’t need to cite it….For example, you do not need to cite the following:
- Abraham Lincoln was the 16th President of the United States.
- Sacramento is the capital of California.
- A genome is all the DNA in an organism, including its genes.
How do you cite dates in MLA?
Publication date (Works Cited)
- This element begins with a number (year or date) or a capital letter for the name of the month.
- Full dates are given in this format: 28 Jan.
- Use abbreviations for months with names longer than four letters:
- If a season is given instead of a month, include the season:
How do you do in text citation for a website?
Cite web pages in text as you would any other source, using the author and date if known. Keep in mind that the author may be an organization rather than a person. For sources with no author, use the title in place of an author. For sources with no date use n.d. (for no date) in place of the year: (Smith, n.d.).
How do you cite a Bible verse in MLA?
Title of the Bible, Version. Editor, Publisher, Year. The first time you cite the Bible in-text, include the name of the version of the Bible, followed by an abbreviation of the book, the chapter and verse(s). For subsequent references, simply include the book, chapter, and verse.
How do you cite a website with two authors in MLA?
If there are two authors, cite the the authors as follows (list authors in the order they are given on the page, not alphabetically): Last Name, First Name of First Author, and First Name Last Name of Second Author.
How should works cited page be arranged?
In general, works cited lists are arranged alphabetically by the author’s last name. If the author is unknown, entries are alphabetized by the first word in their titles (note, however, to drop A, An, or The). Titles of books, periodicals, newspapers, and films are italicized.
How do you properly cite a book?
An MLA book citation always includes the author(s), title (italicized), publisher, and publication year in the list of Works Cited….Citing a book chapter.
|Format||Author last name, First name. “Title of Chapter or Work.” Book Title, edited by Editor name, Publisher, Year, pp. Page range.|
|In-text citation||(Smith 101)|
How do you cite a movie in MLA works cited?
Works Cited Format Title of Movie. Contributor(s). Publisher/Production Company, Year of Release. Examples: The Color Purple.
How do you in text cite the same author in different works?
Multiple works by different authors in the same citation Include the last name and page reference for the first author, then a semi-colon, followed by the last name and page reference for the next author. (Smith 93; Fayett 131-32). List the corporate author followed by the page reference.