Can you go whale watching in Tenerife?
Tenerife is an excellent destination to spot whales and dolphins throughout the year. There are an estimated 400 pilot whales along the deep sea-water canyon in depths of 1000-1200 m. They are usually spotted between Puerto Colon and Los Cristianos in the direction of La Gomera.
What kind of whales are in Tenerife?
Commonly Encountered Cetacean Species
- Pilot Whale. Globicephala macrorhynchus.
- Bottlenose Dolphin. Tursiops truncatus.
- Spotted Dolphins. Stenella frontalis.
- Bryde’s Whales. Balaenoptera brydei.
- Sperm Whales. Physeter macrocephalus.
- Common Dolphin. Delphinus delphis.
- Fin Whale. Balaenoptera physalus.
- Striped Dolphin.
Where should I stay for whale watching?
10 Hotels that are Perfect for Whale Watching this Spring
- Ka’anapali Beach Hotel. Lahaina, Hawaii.
- Whale Watch Inn. Gualala, California.
- Four Seasons Punta Mita. Nayarit, Mexico.
- West Street Hotel.
- Hotel Wailea.
- Azor Hotel.
- Portola Hotel & Spa.
- Chileno Bay Resort & Residences and Esperanza, Auberege Resorts Collections.
Are there orcas in Tenerife?
Killer whales or Orcas, the world’s largest dolphins, do visit Tenerife, but their appearances are quite rare. These distinctive black-and-white predators were last seen in October 2018. They appeared near Los Cristianos, a small town on Tenerife’s southwestern coast, and attacked the pilot whale family.
Are there killer whales in Tenerife?
Loro Parque boasts the only killer whale show in the Canary Islands. Located in Puerto de la Cruz in the north of Tenerife, its renowned orca show has to be seen to be believed.
Are there sharks in Tenerife?
YES, there are. Since the Canary Islands are surrounded by the Atlantic, the waters around them are filled with marine life, including some species of sharks.
Where is the best place to see humpback whales?
The following are the world’s best places to watch humpback whales in their natural habitat.
- Saguenay – St. Lawrence Marine Park, Québec.
- Baja California Sur, Mexico.
- Bahia De Banderas, Mexico.
- Pacific Coast, Colombia.
- Hermanus, Western Cape, South Africa.
- Kaikoura, South Island, New Zealand.
- Disko Bay, Greenland.
- Maui, Hawaii.
Can you swim with dolphins in Tenerife?
Swimming With Dolphins In Tenerife. Although it is not allowed to swim with wild dolphins in Tenerife, you can get in the water and meet them at Aqualand. There are several dolphin options including photos with dolphins or playing with them during a 40-60 minute Dolphin Experience.